Many people live their life just for the weekend. It’s not only that we spend five days looking forward to just two. It’s also that most people only do what they enjoy most in just those two days…..
Wouldn’t it be better, if, instead of living for the weekends, we lived full time?
Here are ten habits to break and make to have something to look forward to besides ‘Fri-Yay’!
1) Stop counting down to the weekend – When counting down, you’re telling yourself that today, and everyday until Friday, is crap and not worth living. You’re literally wishing most of your life away! Catch yourself, ditch the thought and bring yourself back to the present!
2) Stop thinking a whole day is a write off – especially before it’s even begun – A whole day is not crap just because of the day of the week it is! What’s more, if one bad thing happens in a day, this doesn’t determine the whole day a write off. The more you tell yourself ‘It’s Monday, it sucks!’ or ‘I am having a bad day’ the more you make it that way. Focus on responses to any one bad thing that has to be dealt with. Although bad things happen (and on any day) – it’s you with your new habits that still makes the overall day great!
3) Watch the Sunrise or Sunset – Why leave that holiday feeling to just one or two weeks once or twice a year? I prioritise appreciating and posting sunrises and sunsets. There is something magical about being present at the golden hour, sipping on a drink and watching the sun slip below the horizon. Or being up and watching the wonder of a new day ahead of everyone else. Instead of spending this same magical hour in the morning or evening in bed or in front of a screen, capture the holiday feeling every day!
4) Count your Blessings – Taking some things for granted while highlighting when there’s a problem or something negative is a habit. Set up for a great day by counting your blessings, or giving gratitude. Write or name five things in your life you are grateful for and the reasons why you appreciate them. They can be anything really small to really big. Upon waking up if possible. But on the car drive or dog walk will do just fine. The more we count our blessings, the more of them we are likely to have!
5) Go out Midweek – Yes, I know it’s a school night. Go to bed half an hour earlier the rest of the week if you must, but make big plans for a Wednesday night. Go to a gig, meet up with friends and stay up too late drinking wine. Catch a show, go to a movie – whatever YOU want! Break up your week by making unforgettable memories with the company you choose! So what if you are tired the next day? It’s not school. You are an adult – you know how to be responsible at work. This is your LIFE we’re talking about not wasting!
6) Stop watching the News/reading Newspapers – It’s no secret that News is deliberately negative with a sensationalist twist to invoke fear and powerlessness. That doesn’t mean it’s not real, but bad news isn’t ALL that is real! Be conscious about putting good stuff into your mind and the enhancing effects of this on your mood. Subscribe to YouTube channels on self confidence, self love and personal development. Or invest in some personal development books. It’s an easy way to get good vibes in and just fifteen minutes a day is enough to change your outlook for your day and your life!
7) Create a special atmosphere at home – We are obsessed with having our own place – just so we can leave it empty all day every day to go to jobs! Really start living in, and enjoying, your home! I hate cleaning, but I LOVE the feeling of just ‘being’ in my home when my house has been cleaned! Just sitting on the couch? Turn the tv off, put on some music. Burn incense or your favourite candles. Get the lighting right and popcorn ready to really make the most of a good movie. Have fresh sheets and pyjamas ready to climb into after a hot bath!
8) Travel more often – Ok so you’re limited to a few holiday days a year. Instead of spending six months or even a year living for that one or two week holiday, why not book more holidays more often? Book Monday and Friday off or Tuesday and Wednesday and tag them on to a weekend adventure! Have the next trip booked ahead of the one you’re going on to guarantee avoiding post-trip blues!
9) Take steps to change your Life – If you really hate Monday and getting up to face the day (and the above aren’t helping), take time to identify if there is a more deep rooted problem. Don’t like your job? Want to change profession? Want to work on your own dreams, be your own boss? Start taking steps towards your big change on a part time basis. We were not born to just go to work, pay bills and die. The sooner you get started on your new direction, the sooner you will get there!
10) Give an hour to writing down your Goals for the week – Sixty minutes of thinking about the great things you will do for yourself, diarising the times and knowing the bigger outcome of these, can transform your week ahead. Write your Goals down and better still do this on Sunday to beat blue and anxious with excited and empowered. Practised weekly, this can transform your life!